On the 19th April 2012 I went to Mexico to get married. I didn't expect many would be able to come along, but I was really happy when my usual holiday friends, Craig (and his girlfriend Charlotte), Liam (and his girlfriend Laura), Mike, Ash and Craig said they would come, joined by my long time good friends Leigh and Neil. Brandi also had a couple of groups of friends coming. Including our families, there were about 36 at the huge, all inclusive resort with us.
Free food, free alcohol, and great people. This lead to the greatest holiday possible! Here are my memoirs:
- The longest flight of my life. Made shorter by being told I could move to lay across 3 empty seats. But made longer by knowing I was only a few hours from seeing Brandi.
- Going to Tulum and Coba with my friends. The ruins were pretty awesome to see, but most of the day was spent laughing at a German girl, whose male-relation-that-we-couldn’t-determine kept taking photos of her while she did the funniest model poses everywhere. Coba was really awesome to climb though, and look across all of the forest.
- Going shopping in Playa Del Carmen. We bartered with the Mexicans who said Ash's sunglasses were Mr Plastic Fantastic. After getting them down from $70 USD to $7, Mike's sunglasses came apart about 200m from the shop.
- Playing Drinking Poker to get pre-drunk before we went out. It all seemed like a good idea until we found out a mexican ‘shot’ is so much bigger than ours.
- Going to the beautiful water park Xel-Ha. We went down the slowest river on tubes, and had a Royal Rumble on a floating platform. We went into a cenote, and I held a parrot and a toucan. I also did a double somersault dive from a 7 metre jump. Walking around was extremely painful with how hot the ground but. I ended the day by falling asleep in a hammock with Brandi.
- Going to my first lesbian wedding! I nearly got teary. For the starters I enthusiastically ate all of my strange "mushrooms on pastry", and even started to eat Brandi's, which she hadn't touched. Half way through hers, she said "I wouldn't have thought you'd eat snails...". I was nearly sick.
- The Wedding!
- Playing Water Polo. Two fat American guys, and two Mexican’s joined us that worked for the hotel. When we finished, the one really good Mexican player got out, swapped into tight white cowboy trousers and hat, and started dancing next to the pool, becoming the most flamboyant gay in Mexico. Afterwards, we played in the pool and took awesome pictures.
- The hilarious jokes about the ‘school of fish’, ‘karaoke opera’, and ‘salt Peter, pepperoni’.
- Playing 10 man Battlehsots!
- Our night on the beach, dressing as the Vestman Army, playing ‘I Have Never’, and grappling with Laura. Leigh getting ‘door-knobbed’ and chased around the beach.
- Going to the Japanese restaurant where they put on a bit of a show while cooking. We sat next to a nice Canadian couple and watched the chef flip things into his hat and set things on fire. It was all going well until I went to the bathroom, and Brandi awkwardly told them about how we met online, got engaged fast, and married a year later.
- Going skinny dipping with Brandi after one of the clubs. We must have been swept along the sea a bit, because it took us ages to find our clothes, and a group of people, and a man sweeping sand saw us.
- The nice wildlife around the hotel. The really nice iguanas, and the weird light-up flies (that didn’t seem like normal fireflies).
- Neil never being seen without a Pina Colada in hand.
- Mike finally climbing to the top of a palm tree on our last night